FAQs about the MDEQ Emergency Response Division

  • Do you deal with above ground storage tanks or Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure (SPCC) regulations?
    No. Those programs are regulated by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (Bob Rosen, (404) 562-8761)
  • Do I need permits to transport waste in Mississippi?
    For permitting information contact the MDEQ Hazardous Waste Division (601) 961-5220 or the Mississippi State Public Service Commission (601) 961-5434.
  • Who is responsible for the removal of mold in a building?
    One can generally find contractors in the Yellow pages or see “Consultants and Laboratories” on the Indoor Air Quality page to find an inspector.
  • Are there Haz-Mat training facilities in the state?
    There are two such facilities in the state:
    Mississippi State Fire Academy, Jackson – (601) 932-2444
    Southeastern Safety Training, Hattiesburg – 1-800-261-0064
  • Are Emergency Services personnel available for public speaking and/or training workshops?
    Yes. Emergency Response personnel are available based on schedules for public speaking engagements to any civic organization, schools, fire departments, law enforcement agencies, etc. To request a speaker contact the MDEQ Emergency Services Office Administrator.
  • What are Mississippi’s clean up levels?