Environmetal Firms

Q. I am purchasing a piece of property, how can I find out if it have underground storage tanks on it? If it does what must I do?
A. The Underground Storage Tank Staff can search the underground storage tank (UST) database to see if the property in question has any USTs registered with the Department.  Contact MDEQ.  If the tank does have tanks, please refer to our Prospective Buyer page for details of what you must do if you purchase the property.

Q. How do I get a letter from the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) stating that the property where an underground storage tank is located is clean?
A. If a UST was closed in place prior to December 22, 1988, chances are that the product was removed and they were either filled with water or left empty.  This type of closure procedure was the norm at that time.  However for a tank that was closed in place prior to December 22, 1988, and you want to get a letter from MDEQ regarding the location, you must hire an MDEQ certified contractor to take samples and then have them analyzed by a laboratory.  Once we receive the analytical results we will notify you in writing if no further action is required at the site.  If the UST was closed in place after December 22, 1988, the closure should have been performed according to Department closure guidelines.  The owner should have received a “no further action” letter from the Department and we should have a copy on file.

Q. Do you issue certificates for tanks?
A. Yes.  A Certificate of Registration is issued upon payment of annual tank fees.

Q.What tanks are exempt from the UST regulations?
A. Farm or residential tanks of 1,100 gallons or less capacity used for storing motor fuel for noncommercial purposes; tank used for storing heating oil for consumptive use on the premises where stored; septic tanks and systems for collecting storm water and wastewater; tanks on or above the floor of underground areas, such as basements or tunnels; flow-through process tanks; tanks holding 110 gallons or less; and emergency spill and overfill tanks are exempt from UST regulations.

Q. How do I go about reviewing UST files?
A. Contact the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality’s Public Records section at (601) 961-5171.

Q. Is Stage II Vapor Recovery required on UST systems in Mississippi?
A. No.  Not at this time.

Q. Are propane tanks regulated?
A. Yes, but not by the UST Program.  Please contact the state Insurance Department, L C Gas Division, at (601) 359-1064.

Q. Where is your office located?
A. Please see the following map to the UST office located at 515 East Amite Street, Jackson, Mississippi.

Q. What hours are you open for business?
A. Our building is open from 8 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.

Q. What if I have a question related to underground storage tanks, who should I call?
A. Please see this list of UST staff members.