Surface Water Withdrawal Permit Guidance

This document is provided to serve as a guide to assist in successfully completing the application for a permit to divert (or withdraw) surface waters of the State.

Please fill out all the appropriate Sections (A, C, D and E) of the permit application form as completely as possible. This completed form should be submitted to the Office of Land and Water Resources (OLWR) prior to water actually being diverted (or withdrawn) from applicable surface water bodies.

Please note the address change:

P.O. Box 2309
Jackson, MS 39225

This form no longer needs to be notarized.

Items that typically delay the permitting process include the following:

  • Forgetting to submit the required $10.00 application fee;
  • Submitting an unusable map to indicate the following:
    • location of the diversion (withdrawal), and outline of irrigated acreage.

Suitable maps to meet this requirement should include roads, applicable Sections-Townships-Ranges, streams, or other identifiable landmarks.

If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Land and Water Resources at 601.961.5269 for assistance.