Sharkey and Washington Counties Flood Risk Open House

General public invited to find out more about new flood maps

(JACKSON, Miss.) — The Mississippi/FEMA Risk MAP Team will host a Flood Risk Open House Tuesday, March 1, at the time and venue below:
Deer-Steele Watershed Flood Risk Public Open House

Tuesday, March 1, 2022
4:30 PM – 6:00 PM Central Time
Washington County Convention Center
1040 S. Raceway Road
Greenville, MS 38703

The open house will provide the public with an opportunity to review the recently completed preliminary Flood Insurance Study and its accompanying preliminary Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) that include base flood information and identification of areas subject to flood hazards for the following communities: the Town of Anguilla, the City of Greenville and the unincorporated areas of Washington County and Sharkey County.

The new preliminary maps covering the above listed communities will also be available for viewing at the local community’s Floodplain Manager’s office. Preliminary Products including Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) panels, Flood Insurance Study (FIS) and Preliminary FIRM Database are available for download at the FEMA Map Service Center’s website.

The team, which includes representatives from the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency, the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality, Mississippi Geographic Information LLC, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), will be available to address questions from the public. Local and state officials will also be present to provide information about flood risk, flood insurance, floodplain development requirements, and the process used for floodplain mapping.

Once the preliminary FIRMs become effective, these maps will be used by floodplain permit officials, builders and developers, lenders, realtors, insurance agents, and the general public to determine flood risk.

Property owners, realtors, lenders, and insurance agents are encouraged to attend and take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about flood risk and hazard mitigation. Contact a community Floodplain Administrator to learn if a home or business is located within a special flood hazard area which will require flood insurance if there is a federally backed loan.