Open Burning

The burning of materials for waste disposal purposes is referred to as open burning. The Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality does not issue open burning permits, but specific standards for open burning are set forth in 11 Miss. Admin. Code, Pt. 2, Ch. 1. These standards must be followed.

Permit Information
  • The open burning of residential, commercial, institutional, or industrial solid waste, is prohibited with certain exceptions.
  • Permits for agricultural and silvicultural open burning are issued by the Mississippi Forestry Commission (MFC). Contact the appropriate MFC district office to obtain a permit.
  • Contact the appropriate county or city officials regarding local ordinances.